The church of our saviour chapel and memorial hall
8,100 square feet, New Construction
San Gabriel, California
One of the primary goals in updating the Church of Our Saviour Master Plan has been to preserve and enhance the lush, historic campus that has been an oasis in the heart of San Gabriel, and to maintain the historic 1870’s church as its centerpiece. These two goals have influenced the siting and massing of a series of additions and new infill buildings, including a columbarium, chapel; and parish hall. Great care has been taken to preserve and enhance the landscape as older buildings are renovated and new ones are added to the campus. In the rare instances where trees were removed for new construction, new trees of like species have been planted nearby.
The new buildings sit quietly within the campus and the surrounding neighborhood. They are all designed as freestanding, single-story buildings set well back from neighboring properties and carefully integrated within the existing pattern of buildings and landscape. The buildings are designed to screen new existing outdoor courtyards and patios and contain outdoor activities associated with the Church’s programs. Wherever possible, they occupy the site of previous buildings of little or no historic value.
Project with Aleks Istanbullu Architects and John Dale, Photography copyright John Dale